Monday, March 28, 2011

And then there were Bees –

Before we left on vacation in December I noticed we had a lot of bees going in and out of our gutter in our back garden. I was a bit concerned because I hang out my clothes out there and Lilly likes to play in the dirt/mud and I didn’t want to have to worry about bees. When we got back, Seth said he would take care of the bees and went to buy some spray. Well, said spray didn’t come with a straw so it couldn’t be sprayed right into the gutter.

We called the rental company and they got a bee guy to come out pretty quickly. So the bee guy comes out, takes a look around outside and basically tells me that it looks like our place is going to fall down. There are huge cracks in the outside structure of the house. Awesome, but really I never noticed it before, they may have been there since we moved in. So he puts on this spacesuit looking outfit and goes to spray the bees. And it starts to rain. I don’t know if this will make the spray less effective but I’m happy he’s taking care of this and it’s not Seth standing on the ladder. The guy says wait 7-10 days and if there is still activity, give me a call.

After 7 days with it raining just about every day, I thought everything was fine. Even after 10 days it all looked good. But at about 12 days, I didn’t think it was fine. There was more activity in the gutter than before and that worried me all over again. AND I was hearing strange noises in the wall. So I called the bee guy. When the bee guy came back, I told him I could actually hear the bees humming from inside the house. And then we noticed that the paint was bubbling just under where we assumed the nest was. The only thing between me and a nest full of active bees, was a layer of paint. So the bee guy sprayed outside, came inside, scraped away the paint and sprayed some more. And then, to make sure he got them all, he drilled some holes in the wall and sprayed again.

And then he covered all the holes with duct tape.



It’s not as impressive as my grandparents had, but I love that I now have duct tape on my wall because of bees.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:-))))

Anonymous said...

You didn't tell me it was that bad!