Sunday, December 13, 2009

October 23 - Bruny Island

This trip required an early morning. We had to drive to some location and get on a mini-bus and they drove to another location and got on a ferry. The ferry took us to Bruny Island and then the mini-bus took us across the island to where our boat was waiting for us.

Since I wasn't standing with the rest of the family when this trip was booked, I really didn't have any expectations of the trip. I just knew we were going to be on a boat. Lilly, Pennie and I sat under the cover (I would have enjoyed sitting out but I wasn't sure how Lilly would do and the sun would have left us both bright red). We were all given large red ponchos to keep us warm. However, I assumed based on the material that we were all sitting in the splash zone.

The guys that run the tours are quite funny. They give a little history of the island and show off some spots here and there as well as cool rock formations. The main attraction would probably have been the animals. We saw lots of birds and I couldn't really tell you what they all were. The penguin looking birds are not penguins.

We also saw seals. Rumor had it that there was a whale close by and we looked around for it for a while but never actually saw it. I guess one of the other groups that went out did get to see it. But we got to see the dolphins. There were a lot of them and they were playing all around the boat we were on as well as another boat that was heading toward the island. That was the coolest part. So cool in fact, that I left Lilly seatbelted in her seat and went to check them out. One of the tour guides got her and held her up so she could see the dolphins.

On the way back across the island we stopped at a pull off and took a picture or two. I was definitely going for wind blown hair that day. The stretch of land in the background is about the middle of the island.

Once back on the mainland, we headed into Hobart in search of dinner. We ended up eating at a nice restaurant but I don't remember the name of it. We had an early night as our flight in the morning was before the crack of dawn!

1 comment:

Emily said...

Love that you are wearing your Sea World shirt! I wear mine a lot still too!
BTW, good family pic!