Thursday, December 31, 2009

December 5 - Oh Snap

I thought I was being careful, but I missed a camera, and so I missed a day of family fun. So let's go back to that cold December day. Ok, it wasn't really cold but it was a bit windy.

We headed out to Phillip Island where six months ago we saw the little penguins. We had purchased a three park pass and it expires after six months so we had this one day left to go. We needed to hit up the other two parks. One was a Koala Conservation Centre and the other was Churchill Island (a heritage farm).



The Koala Conservation Centre had a few little walks that amounted to one giant loop. A couple of the paths were board walks so you could be a little higher in the trees. Very cool (not as cool as seeing the koalas in the wild). We saw two koalas arguing over a tree. An angry koala sounds like a pig. We took a few pictures of the koalas but more pictures of some of the birds we saw.

We then headed off to a part of the island to just find a small walk. This turned out to be more exciting than I had thought because we saw and enchinda. These are sort of porcupine-ish creatures. For some reason I want want to stand still so I can use it to get the mud off the bottom of my shoe. I really don't know why. We also saw huge ants but I wasn't about to stick my hand beside one so you could get the idea of the size.



Finally the Heritage Farm. This was probably pretty neat earlier in the day. By the time we got in there weren't any more talks or demonstrations. That was a bummer. But we went into the petting farm area and Lilly got to pet a rabbit and a guinea pig.

No comments: