Sunday, November 15, 2009

September 22 - The Royal Melbourne Show

Lilly and I got our friends, Heather and Alex to go with us to "the Show". I didn't really know what to expect. I just heard it was a lot of fun. Upon arrival, I discovered it was the state fair, with a different name. Everyone asked if I had been to the Show and while before I thought they were talking about the theatre, now I know they were talking about the fair.

We lucked out with the weather. The Show takes place during school holidays so I've heard how busy it gets. The day was warm and mostly sunny but very windy. Every once in a while it looked like it was going to rain and I think that kept people from coming.

Anyway, the first thing we did was check out Elmo. Keep in mind that Lilly is petrified of dressed up characters (it all started with Santa Claus last December and has included a zebra at the zoo and Kung Fu Panda). She was so excited until she saw Elmo and how big he was. She did not want to go up to get her picture taken with him so I carried her and while he tried to hug her, had to ask him not to touch her. She was fine as long as I was in between them!

There were several areas with animals. We watched a lamb be born. That was kind of weird. They bring all these sheep in for the purpose of showing this. We also went into a petting area and got to pet goats, chickens, calves and lambs. One calve was trying to eat my jacket and then my shoe. It took about 5 minutes to get the thing to stop eating my stuff only to turn around and start eating my friends shoes/pants. We left at that point.

The rest of the day was spent walking around and checking out the hundreds of booths/exhibits/foods/rides. We didn't see everything and we ended up staying until almost 8:00 at night. There was a lot of walking but they had lots of things for the kids to do. Lilly planted a flower, dug up potatoes, rode a train (that was the only thing I paid for besides food and entrance fee), colored pictures, and played on a computer. She probably did a lot more, I just don't remember. I was very impressed with how child friendly the entire thing was.



1 comment:

Emily said...

Did you get any fairy floss?