Monday, November 16, 2009

October 12 - Structured Playgroup

When we first moved here, I was always asked if Lilly was on a waiting list for three year old Kinder. Well, of course not, we didn't know anything about it. Kindergarten (just known as kinder) is equivalent to pre-school. Right now it seems as if everyone is determined to get their children into a kinder and start the learning process as early as possible. Three year is usually on one day a week for three hours or two days for a couple of hours. While I am sure that there are learning opportunities during this time, I see it more useful for social purposes (especially having moved from another country). But that's just me, I still have people look at me funny when I say we opted not to do three year kinder.

Well, I figured Lilly needed some more kid time and we did find a group that advertised itself as a structured playgroup for those who did not get enrolled in a kinder (there is a waiting list at most places). It may be structured in the same way as I imagine a day of kinder, I don't know. They do songs and read stories. Usually have some sort of art activity and some play time. The parents are all in there and it is a small group. I don't find it particularly educational, but Lilly loves it and that's what I was looking for.

No comments: