Sunday, June 10, 2012

Welcome to Mommyhood

Adlai woke up at 11:30 last night with a cough of a seal.  It was unfortunate.  I was just going to bed.  I knew what that cough meant.  I went in to check on Adlai and he was struggling.  I expected the cough.  I didn't expect him not to be able to breath.

Yes, I panicked.  I didn't immediately call 000 or anything.  That's 9-1-1 in Oz speak.  I had my comfy black pants on so I didn't consider that to be wearing pjs so I just slipped my shoes on.  My friend Heather P. knows exactly the pair of pants I'm talking about.  [oh my, I just realized how long I've owned those pants!]  I just slipped on some sandals and grabbed some blankets and walked out the door.  Don't worry, Seth had Adlai, I didn't just leave him.

ER, Saturday night, midnight.  You never know what you will get.  It didn't seem too bad.  I walked in and was able to get into triage right away.  By then Adlai was breathing better, he was wheezing but it didn't take so much effort.  The nurse confirmed my thoughts - croup.

I went to the waiting room to wait to see the doctor.  The worst movie ever came on the television.  About some woman who kills her abusive husband, gets sent to jail by a crazy judge and the inmates strip at a local bar for work detail.  There was a lot of nudity.  It was awkward to say the least with the crowd in the waiting room.

I had to wait for about an hour and a half.  Luckily the nurse was able to get Adlai a steroid to bring the swelling in his airways down.  By the time we saw the doctor Adlai was ready to rock and roll.  The first thing the doctor says is "So, this is your first baby, huh?"  Um, no, our first just wasn't in a situation where she was introduced to all the wonderful germs that Adlai has been lucky to eat or lick.  Or maybe she just thought I was really young.

And so Adlai and I were home about 2:30.  He went right back to sleep and the rest of the night was uneventful.  He even slept until 8:30.  What a champ!

No comments: