Monday, September 24, 2012

The Resort that Wanted to be Better Than it Was



We had set the alarms for 8 but no one was sleeping much past 6:00.  Between the cold that Seth and Adlai have, the fan not helping for a few hours while we lay in pools of sweat and then making us very cold, and Lilly having to go to the bathroom, we were just done.  I will say I was happy that Lilly went to the bathroom because that meant something was going through her.  In fact the first words out of her mouth were “what’s for breakfast?”

Seth and Lilly left a little after 8:30 to go back to the airport to get the car we had ‘hired’.  Adlai was very upset that he was getting left behind so I took him out for a walk.  Turns out the resort had a nice pool with a little slide.  I put Adlai’s feet in the water and he loved it.  By the end of the walk I had to take his shorts off and change his diaper.  He fell asleep while I changed his diaper.  Poor kid was exhausted!

Meanwhile, at the airport, Seth was there early so the lady put in our car to get it prepped and told Seth it would take 30 minutes.  Seth came back 30 minutes later and someone had given his car away!  But it worked in our favor, we ended up with a Kluger.  And boy was I glad we did because I may have mentioned we have a lot of stuff!  Plus we did a little shopping for diapers and some groceries.   If we had received the original car, we may have had to make two trips to our resort destination.

So after a little shopping and picking up flyers for ideas of what to do, we headed to our resort.  This was a deal we had gotten on LivingSocial or one of those Groupon type deals.  We’ve done these before and have had great experiences.  Well, you are bound to have a flop eventually.  And I’m not complaining too much.  BUT, when Seth went to check in, they didn’t have our reservation.  They had it and then it was cancelled.  They also didn’t have too much info on the reservation as to what we got as part of the deal.  I’m going to have to have a chat with them and get some answers.  I don’t want to be charged with a bunch of extras at the end. 

Anyway, so we spent the day unpacking our car.  It took ages since there wasn’t a parking lot close to our building.  And no lift.  (I won’t complain about that one because the lady checking in after us was wondering why she got a handicap room on the second floor and how she was going to get her wheelcheer bound child up and down the steps.) 

We put Adlai down for a quick nap and then went for a walk along the Esplanade.  We were looking for dinner we could all agree on.  I’ll start by saying that never happened.  But, I did see someone I know!!  Lilly had passed someone and said “that looks like Kate.”  Well, if it had been Kate she would have stopped and said hello.  Then Lilly said “that looks like Kerry.”  I turned and said, yes that is Kerry and kept going.  Well duh, it was someone I work with at the school!  I said hello and laughed at the coincidence as I didn’t realize she was going to be in the same area over the holidays.

We finally settled on fish and chips and headed back to our hotel.  We won’t eat at that place again, the portion was very small and not well cooked.  Afterwards we went for a quick swim.  We were the only ones at the pool and it was dark but the kids loved it.  Hopefully I’ll get a picture of the pool this week. 

Here is a sign that was posted on the beach.  How many people want to go swimming now?


No comments: